Imagine you run a successful Shopify store, selling apparel, jewellery, or dropshipping gadgets, could be anything. So far, you’ve only shipped locally. Even though things have been going well, you know that there are plenty of opportunities for improvement and new markets you can tap into. Sounds familiar?
In the past few years, reaching international markets has been a priority for many Shopify store owners. The benefits are numerous - from increasing your market share and popularizing your brand globally, to improving your search engine rankings and making more sales.
But localization was not easy in Shopify. Multi-language was not supported natively and adding additional languages was a clunky process, where literally every theme liquid file in your Shopify store had to be changed in a way that was disruptive and not-so-easy to maintain. Translated strings had to be kept in separate app cloud systems which was adding even more complexity and room for problems.
Luckily, right now, running a multilingual Shopify store couldn’t be easier! Here’s why:
- Recently, Shopify announced the official roll-out of their multi-language feature: "We’re excited to announce that Shopify now supports the ability to seamlessly sell in multiple languages using apps. This feature will allow merchants to sell with the same consistent shopping experience for international buyers in multiple languages." Note: Shopify announced the Translations API and the Shop Locale API at Unite 2019. However, until December 2019, the Shopify multi-language feature was available in developer preview environment only. Read more
- Soon after the feature became available to Shopify merchants, we launched a free translation app - Translation Lab
Here's what makes Translation Lab so powerful
- It is native to Shopify. This means that the app works seamlessly with Shopify’s new multi-language feature - no extra code is added to your theme and there is no external backend that can crash or slow you down. The app works with every Shopify theme.
- It allows you to translate all content resources including the checkout (product titles, descriptions, pages, menus, buttons, meta tags, checkout and more). This helps you provide a consistent shopping experience to your international customers.
- It supports over 130 languages. Note that Shopify allows only 5 languages to be published at the same time, i.e. you can add up to 5 languages to your store. You can unpublish and disable languages. If you unpublish a language, it will no longer be visible in your store, but you will still be able to manage it within the app and your translations won’t be lost. If you disable a language, both the language and its translations will be removed from the app. No coding skills are required to manage your translations.
- It was launched at the end of December 2019 and it has been installed over 3k times already.
- It is compatible with all major SEO apps including our Smart SEO app.
- Last but not least, all these powerful features come for free!
Translation Lab is still in its early days - we’re constantly improving it and adding new awesome features that help Shopify merchants deliver the best possible shopping experience to their international customers. This is why we’d appreciate your feedback:
- What do you like most about the app?
- What could be improved?
- What features would you like us to add in the future?
If you have any questions or need technical assistance, don’t hesitate to contact us - you can use our contact form, or drop us a line in the comments section below.